Approximately one in every 50,000 babies is born with a cry that sounds more like a cat’s than a human’s. That in itself is pretty harmless. But the cry is an indicator of something much more serious. It’s called cri du chat (French for cry of the cat), and it’s a genetic disorder that inhibits development. Kids with it usually lose the meowing kitten cry by the time they turn two, but are left with high-pitched voices for life, as well as a host of other problems, though they can live relatively normal lives, with jobs and living in group homes. Learn more about cri du chat here–I’m shocked that I’ve never seen a documentary about this on Discovery or The Learning Channel.
- keyboard cat reincarnated: http://worldwidewhiskers.org/2010/03/16/keyboard-cat-reincarnated/ 7 years ago
- vivienne westwood attacked by stuffed cat: http://bit.ly/9FrTRF 7 years ago
- cat playing the theremin http://bit.ly/cqHuzY 7 years ago
- the cutest thing i've seen all day: http://bit.ly/a1y03m 7 years ago
- @JosephPapa reading that made my day. you are a tiny child! 7 years ago